Thursday, May 15, 2014

Unconventional Terrain for Malifaux (Forbidden Text)


Continuing with the unconventional terrain, I have made a marker for the Forbidden Text. This model was very easy to put together and only took about 90 minutes. 

First, I started with the base, which is a simple 30 mm piece of cork board. 

Next, I wanted to create some kind of podium for the book to sit on.  I again used my pseudo green stuff. 


This was the result. For the top part, I cut a notch into the top of it for the book to rest on. 


I glued the top onto the stand and primed the base and podium in black. Then I hit them with some brown and a wash (which is the wet paint on the podium in the picture). 

The book was next. I made two pieces for the book. The cover was a rectangular thin piece that I creased in the middle with a ruler before it dried. The second piece is the pages. I scraped long lines along the edges once it had dried to create pages. 


I didn't take any pictures of the book when painting, but I simply based it in black, then I painted a darker tan color over that a few times. I then used a brown wash to finish it. 

To do the blood, I used the newish GW blood paint. I loaded a brush up with the blood and held it in front of the book. I then used my airbrush to shoot air at the brush and blow to blood onto the book. I imagine anyone could do this with any kind of compressed air and a brush loaded with blood. 


To finish off the book, I glued the page piece to the cover and then wrote some nonsense in Korean on the book. The M at the end represents Malifaux and my laziness to not bother writing more. 

After taking this picture, I decided to blast the book and podium with some blood. For me, Malifaux always needs blood and mystery. 


The final steps were painting the cracking earth ground from GW on the base (the light brown on the base) and gluing in a few sticks I bought at an art store that I thought looked neat. I also wrapped a few pieces of string around the branches because I thought it made them look creepier. 

I then glued the book stand onto the base and used some green flock to cover up a few of the gluing imperfections. 




Overall, this was a very fun project. It didn't take long and the final result was very close to what I had imagined. I have to make one more Forbidden Text marker, but I think it'll be a much different design. 


---

I also threw this together last night in about 30 or so minutes. It is my first attempt at an effigy. It didn't turn out how I imagined, mostly because of the doll. I have to practice my voodoo doll making ;). 


No comments:

Post a Comment