Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Unconventional Terrain for Malifaux (Carnivorous Plant)


Last weekend, my friend and I played a game of Malifaux using the Unconventional Terrain from the special encounters section of the book. 

We randomly chose the Carnivorous Plant, however, we didn't have any marker for it. We simply used an extra 50mm base to represent it for the game. 

The terrain actually worked very well. We avoided it at the start of the match, but eventually forgot it was there and moved toward it. The terrain ended up killing my Papa Loco and one of his zombies. 

So, since it was quite fun, I decided to make a plant out of green-like stuff. 

I have only limited practice with green-like stuff and have never sculpted anything with it before. Also, I say green-like stuff because I am not using actual green stuff. I am using some super cheap Korean putty stuff that is meant for plumbing. I imagine it works about the same, however, I feel that this stuff dries much quicker, is much stickier and ended up having bubbles in it when I stretched it. All of this can probably be avoided if you actually know how to use the stuff. However, I don't. :)

I started off with the base. 50mm cork. 


I painted this up brown and applied the new cracking earth soil stuff paint from GW around the edges. 


I figured I didn't need to get in the center as the plant will cover most of this base. 

The next thing I did was create the leaves. I had a rough idea of what I wanted the plant and the plant's leaves to look like in my head. 


It took me about 30 minutes and two different types of green-like stuff to make them. There was a lot of trial and error and I ended up getting better as I went along. The lighter green-like stuff definitely worked better. 

Next, I created the plant. I originally wasn't going to create a flower of any kind for the plant, but I ended up rolling the excess material from the leaves into a ball. It then gave me the idea to make the flower. 


The inside if the flower is the rolled up excess. I then made some more shitty leaves and wrapped them around the ball to look like a flower that hasn't bloomed. 

The next part was rolling some plant tentacles/arms/branches or whatever the hell they are. I think they ended up being a bit thick in the end, though. 

Next, I based everything in black. 


I then started putting on layers of green, working from dark to light. I also hit the bubbles on the leaves with some red to make it look diseased. 


The flower was next. Again, I just added a few layers of red, working from dark to lighter colors. Later, I cleaned up the branches with a brush. 


The next step was laying out the leaves in an arrangement that I liked. 


After gluing them down, I placed the flower on top and glued it down. 


The whole process took about three hours to do. There were a lot of tough parts and a lot of learning. I will make another plant some time soon in the future since the scenario calls for two plants to be put down. I think I will be able to produce something a bit nicer next time. Also, hopefully I can get my hands on some real green stuff. 

Here are a few more pictures. 





No comments:

Post a Comment