Sunday, February 9, 2014

Malifaux Weekend Summary 1

I managed to get in a few games of Malifaux this Sunday. The club I currently play Malifaux at is doing an achievement league throughout the month of February. I started off strong last weekend and was excited to continue the league last weekend. 

I played two matches. The first was my Lady Justice vs. my good friend's Rasputina. 

This was the first time for me to play as Lady Justice. I used her base 2ed box set. I also did not take the time to even read her cards before the game so everything was being learned on the fly (the perfect way to learn about your army in my opinion).  I also had never faced off against Rasputina before. My friend had warned me about her prior to Sunday, but the dumbass in me ignored those warnings for whatever reason. I think it mostly comes down to me not liking spoilers. I want to experience it all first hand. And did I ever experience it!

Here are a few pictures of the table and the initial set up. 


My crew. 


Overview of the table. 


These three want to charge up the middle.


The marshal on the left will provide support and the marshal on the right is the objective hunter. 

We were doing the Reckoning scenario. My side objectives were assassination (in hindsight a poor choice) and breakthrough. 

My initial idea was the run my death marshal up the side to flank in and complete breakthrough. Surprisingly, this was the only tactic that worked out for me. Haha. I also planned to run the Judge and LJ up the middle. 

During the first turn, I was distracted , though. 

The Rasputina player deployed some guy with a spear gun (can't remember the name) just behind the house on the left side of my deployment. In the end, he turned out to be bait and I took it. I sent LJ to the left along with a death marshal and the scales of Justice. This left my Judge alone in the middle. 

After doing a double move with the Judge to the center of the table, I found out what Rasputina is all about. 

My friend lined up a gamin in the perfect spot for Rasputina to launch three nukes at my Judge on turn one. It was messy and the Judge fell without much effort. 

The game progressed with me struggling along. He swarmed objectives with his gamin and continued to pick off members of my army.  It was at this time that I changed my game plan and just focused on the achievements I could get for the league. One objective was getting a straight or flush in your control hand and keeping it until the end of the game. I managed to pull off a flush. Which was great, however, it meant no more cheating. 

Bolts of ice flew around the table from this point and simply smashed apart my army. They were vanquished.  I managed a few points, however, the Rasuptina player pulled off both his side objectives. 

I learned a lot about both armies. The game ended up being a lot of fun in the end and the experience I gained was invaluable. The next time I meet Rasputina in battle, I will have her head!

The second game I played was a demo for a new player and nothing too important to mention. 

No comments:

Post a Comment