Monday, July 14, 2014

Before and Now


This weekend, I bought a new camera. I was just using my cell phone camera before. It works fine, but I wanted to get a pocket camera for our upcoming vacation. 

So, with this new camera, I decided to take some photos of my latest ork. Because the camera doesn't have a wifi connection to social media, I have to manually connect and copy my photos. 

When I did this, I actually came across some old photos that had been hidden and ignored in my files. I found a pile of my first or early painting projects. 

I only started painting about 2 or 3 years ago. I started in 2012 when I was bored at my old job. I didn't have many friends in that town and my girlfriend didn't live near me. 

So, I found out about 40k and a shop in Seoul that sold them. I didn't have any background in painting and I am not an overly artistic person. So, it was all new to me. 

Here are some of the photos I came across. 





One of the first things I bought was the Black Reach box set. I think a lot of these models are from that. I remember thinking that I had done a really good job on these models. 

Looking at them now, though...HA. That was some thick paint. I don't think I ever watered it down. And it also seems like I was addicted to Badab Black.  It seems like I did try to highlight some stuff here and there. I must have watch a few tutorials. 

It also seems like I had a very limited selection of colors at the time. 

I actually don't hate these bad models. They remind me of a time when I was just starting out and enjoying something new.  These days, I always want to do the best. And that bothers me sometimes because I am not. I think I have to just step back sometimes and remember to paint for fun. And that I'll gradually get better as time goes by. 


I remember this guy!  He was my first experiment with magnet arms and cork bases. Good times. 


I also found some pictures of my Librarian. There were many photos actually. I must have really liked my paint job. I remember spending a lot of time with him. 

I am also not sure why the photos look so bad. Maybe my old camera sucked. Maybe I didn't know how to use the macro mode. I have no idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment